Monday, February 13, 2012

That Girl




This was inspired by two books I'm reading- Girl Groups, Girl Culture: Popular Music and Identity in the 1960s and She's So Fine: Reflections on Whiteness, Femininity and Adolescence in 1960s Girl Groups- which are, as the titles suggest, academic analyses of 1960s girl music and, perhaps, the best thing ever published.

The specific inspiration for these were groups that represented more rebellious personalities such as The Crystals (on one record) The Shangri Las and The Ronettes. This collection by Gwen Stefani reminded me exactly of these groups as well as the rebellious students in the movie To Sir With Love

Comments?

11 comments:

  1. I like the dress on the far left with the hint of yellow. The neckline is an interesting contrast to the sleeves and hem, but all in all it reminds me the most of the time period.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a nicely crafted blog, Ari. I love the background image as well. The era and clothing choices for this blog are very cool. I wish I was 20 yrs younger so I could wear them. My choices would be the two middle outfits. I am a huge fan of anything Bomber jacket in resemblance and I do like my earth-tone colors! Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This photo gives a sense of this is where it' at. Not so much we are on the move, but we are the move.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love all these styles. I am a big fan of mini skirts and dresses and this rebellious look is very cool. I especially like the first outfit. I love how its an all black outfit with just a hint of bright yellow.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Um can I have the second outfit. Like please!

    Great theme and wonderful color scheme. I love that even though its 60's inspired you didn't go to the default way bright gogo dancer colors

    ReplyDelete
  6. guuhhhhhhh! i lurve yo' boards! this one appeals to me the most because it's so happy. I love all the links that you put in your posts because its adds extra resources for the inquisitive reader- comme moi.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the theme of your board! The 1960s silhouettes are adorable and these are really great color choices as well.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That Girl is speaking to me gurl! lol The silhouettes are awesome and very current.

    ReplyDelete
  9. i love that girl! its really chic and the color choices are nice

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love your explanation of your inspirations. They really help me understand the look.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This board is my fave. I can totally see your style as a designer through these color choices and silhouettes. And the collection will be very salable as well!

    ReplyDelete